It’s easy to overlook or even completely forget about replacing the filters on your AC system. But filters can be one of the most important aspects of your cooling and even your heating systems. Forgetting about them, too, can lead to a range of problems. At Scenic City Heating & AC, we offer routine maintenance plans so you don’t ever have to worry about changing the filter in your home again.
Looking for other ways to improve HVAC performance? Be sure to schedule an air conditioner tune-up before the hot summer months arrive.
The Impact of a Dirty Air Filter
Filters do a great job of, well, filtering the air in your HVAC system, but they need to be replaced consistently to keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Filters that aren't changed can become clogged with particulates and allergens and can lead to a variety of issues including:
- Increased Energy Costs: Clogged filters cause your HVAC system to work harder to get the job done, and a system that’s straining is a system that uses more energy, which means a higher cost on your monthly energy bill.
- Poor Air Quality: A filter is meant to catch and stop particulates and allergens such as pollen, dander, dust, mold, and mildew. But a clogged filter can no longer do its job, leading to a drop in your indoor air quality.
- Poorer Heating and Cooling: And finally, a clogged filter means air can’t pass through as easily, resulting in uneven heating and cooling.
A clogged and dirty filter may seem like a small thing, but it can easily affect your entire home. Over time, it can even shorten the lifespan of your air conditioner, leading to much larger issues like emergency repairs and even AC replacements.
When Should You Replace the Filter?
It can be hard to know when is the best time to replace your HVAC filter. While it can often be an easy task, there’s no one single measurement that tells you when it’s time to change it. It can vary from residence to residence. The below list may help you know when it’s the best time to change your filter.
- Vacation Home: If you have a home or cabin that isn’t occupied year-round, change the filter at least once a year.
- Single Occupant Home: If you live alone, have no pets, and don’t typically experience breathing issues, change your filter every 6-8 months.
- People and Pets: If you don’t live alone, and have at least one pet, and/or you experience allergies or asthma, change the filter every 3-4 months.
- Pets and Breathing Problems: A residence with more than one person, more than two pets, and someone with breathing difficulties should change the filter every 4-6 weeks.
These general guidelines may help you know when it's the best time to replace your HVAC filter. You can also work with our Chattanooga, TN AC professionals to help you with the perfect filter replacement schedule. We can diagnose your home’s specific needs.
Concerned your air ducts are causing excess dust? Ask about our air duct cleaning services!
Call Us Today!
Changing an air filter is something that most homeowners may be able to tackle on their own. But some air filters may be too difficult to reach and using the wrong size or type of filter can be just as bad as not using one at all. The best way to make sure you're getting the most out of your HVAC filter is to trust it to a professional.
At Scenic City Heating & AC, we offer a maintenance plan, which includes filter replacement, to keep your HVAC system running in tip-top shape. And thanks to 20 years of experience and our A+ BBB rating, you never have to worry about the wrong filter being used.