When a hot Chattanooga summer comes around, a properly working air conditioner is imperative. But air conditioners are complex and complicated appliances, using everything from coils and pipes and ducts to vents and lines and refrigerant. And sometimes when one little thing goes wrong, it can affect your entire AC system. This is why correctly maintained evaporator coils or so important and why Scenic City Heating, AC & Plumbing are counted on as your local AC experts. Whether the evaporator coils are leaking freon or frozen over, you can count on us for quick and professional service.
Worried about frozen coils? Don’t forget to schedule your routine AC maintenance appointment today!
Signs of Damaged Evaporator Coils
Many homeowners aren’t sure what evaporator coils do, but they’re an important part of your AC unit. They’re located near the blower fan of your unit and are part of the system where the AC refrigerant absorbs heat. Without them, your air conditioner can’t make cold air. Some common signs you may have an issue with your evaporator coils can include:
- Leaks: A puddle of water or other moisture or liquid beneath or near your AC unit may be a sign that you have a refrigerant leak. Unfortunately, refrigerant leaks are a problem that needs to be addressed by a professional for repair, so don’t delay.
- Strange smells: If you notice a bad smell when your AC unit is blowing air, it might signify that mold or bacteria has built up on the evaporator coils. The cooled air can attract water vapor which can cause mold and mildew to grow.
- Frozen coils: Evaporator coils work to cool the air and send it into your house. Which means they have to be cold to do this. Freezing cold. If water remains on the coils too long, it will freeze and turn into ice. And if too much ice builds up, it can stop the AC unit from working entirely.
If you suspect your evaporator coils might have a problem, contact Scenic City Heating, AC & Plumbing for a solution. Oftentimes evaporator coil issues are easily solved with simple cleaning or repair.
How to Prevent Frozen Evaporator Coils
Like all other aspects of your AC system, keeping your evaporator coils in good maintenance will ensure that they work correctly and extend their lifespan. The good news is there are easy maintenance steps any homeowner can take to make sure your coils stay in good running condition:
- Routinely clean and replace all air filters
- Have your AC unit professional serviced at least once each year
- Remove any debris on your AC unit or lines
- Check for clogs or leaks
- Keep the evaporator coils clean and dry
These simple steps can help your Chatanooga, TN air conditioner work at top efficiency for the life of the appliance. We always use state of the art diagnostic tools to help keep your air conditioning components in the best shape possible.
Worried your cooling issues are due to another problem? We offer AC replacement service you can depend on.
Evaporator Coil Services
Being aware of the common problems and symptoms faced by your evaporator coils will help you keep an eye on any problems, which is essential. Early detection can help for the following reasons:
- Money: When coils stop working, chances are you’re wasting money. The AC will continue to run, applying to your utility costs.
- Comfort: When coils break down, your AC unit will stop doing the one thing it’s meant to do: keep your house cool. When facing problems with your coils, don’t delay if you want your house to remain cool in the scorching summer heat.
- Energy: When evaporator coils have problems, they often waste a lot of energy. Because even when they fail completely and stop cooling the air, the AC unit often keeps running, which means it will continue to consume electricity even though it’s not cooling your house.
Scenic City Heating, AC & Plumbing is dedicated to keeping your AC system in tip-top shape. We’re here to offer you routine maintenance, repairs when needed, and even new AC unit installations when it’s time for an upgrade. We treat every customer right!