The ductwork of your HVAC system and home can be easy to forget about because it’s so often hidden in the ceiling and attic of your home. But damaged ductwork can cause a myriad of problems for you and your Chattanooga, TN house. This is why it’s so important to have a trusted, local HVAC company that you can call when your ductwork faces a problem. At Scenic City Heating, AC & Plumbing, we offer upfront pricing and have an A+ BBB rating. We’re a local HVAC company that makes sure we do every job right!
We also offer indoor air quality service including air filter replacement to keep your home comfortable and safe all year long.
Signs Your Ductwork Needs Repair
Even though your ductwork doesn’t have moving parts like the appliances in your HVAC system, they can still be damaged or suffer from age-related wear and tear. But because much of your home’s ductwork is hidden in the attic it can be hard to know when they need to be repaired, if at all. Some common signs your ductwork may need to be repaired can include:
- Higher Energy Costs: Leaking ductwork this will result in higher energy costs and is often one of the first signs there may be an issue with a home’s ducts.
- Odd Noises: HVAC systems are not necessarily whisper quiet, but if you hear unfamiliar bangs or hisses, it could be a problem with your ductwork.
- Air Leaks: If your house has suddenly become drafty in a way it wasn’t before, that could be a sign of a leak in your ductwork.
- Pests: And a hole in your ductwork can allow insects and rodents access to areas of your home they normally wouldn’t be able to reach. If you notice a sudden infestation, it may be due to your ducts.
- Increased Dust: Dust or even soot around the vents in your rooms can be signs of a dirty or clogged filter or ductwork. If it seems like your house is always dusty, it could be your ducts.
With our air duct repair services, you can keep your system running in top shape, while also improving the airflow in every room of your home!
Messy crawl space. Ductwork sitting on drain pipe and flexible supply line feeding metal trunk is squished.
6″ Flex duct line poked into trunk and taped. Improper connection didn’t last and pulled off causing heat to go to crawlspace instead of into house. Also, no insulation in or on trunk.
This hole was cut much too small for the duct connected to it and again the flex duct was only taped to the trunk.
Finally, the flex ductwork was not supported well and had gotten wet and heavy. This weight pulled the duct off the boot because it was only held on by tape.
After enlarging the hole, we screwed on take off and made a proper connection using nylon straps to hold the new flex duct.
We raised the trunk duct and supported it with metal strap to prevent damage to drain line and improve air flow from supply flex.
What appears to be black mold on bottom side of floor boards.
Signs You Need Air Duct Replacement
Sometimes your air ducts may need to be repaired. But if your house is older, or if you’ve suffered damage from a storm, perhaps, there may be times that your ductwork will need to be replaced. If you’re wondering if your house needs new ducts, the following information may help you:
- A home older than 50 years may need to have new ducts installed.
- Aging air ducts can lead to leaks and can increase the chances of problems like asbestos, so if you’ve had to repair them repeatedly, it may be time for a replacement.
- Air duct cracks may not be easy to repair so sometimes the best and most cost-effective solution may be to replace them.
Worried that your air conditioner is the source of your problems? An AC upgrade may be the best way to assist your new ductwork for a cooler and more comfortable home.
Your Ductwork Experts
Whether you need your ductwork needs to be repaired or fully replaced, that’s a job for a professional. Scenic City Heating, AC & Plumbing has 20 years of HVAC expertise, and our services include duct cleaning, repair, and installation. In addition, if you’re planning a new construction project or expanding your home, we can help install new ductwork to ensure every section of your home has the airflow it needs to keep comfortable!